[gmx-users] Why density increase with increasing the cutoff length?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Dec 21 09:01:57 CET 2009

On 12/21/09 8:55 AM, XAvier Periole wrote:

> Would it be all cut-offs: elect + vdW ? Or the increase is separate?
>
> For your info the vdW are attractive potentials at long distances so
> an increase of cutoff would result in an increase of attraction and
> therefore to an increase of density!
>
> This is one good illustration of the fact that you should not change
> the cutoff values from the ones used for the parameterization of a
> force field.

In general I agree, however for some popular force fields like OPLS this
is not so well-defined. Jorgensen uses different cut-offs in different
papers.

Using PME and dispersion correction means you are almost independent of
the cut-off length (if they are not too short). Typically 1 nm and
upwards will give you the same results with these settings.

If you're using plain cut-offs or RF you're on your own.