[gmx-users] Why density increase with increasing the cutoff length?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 21 11:01:17 CET 2009

Arden Perkins wrote:
>  From what my Professor told me it is my understanding that cutoff
> length is somewhat a trade-off between accuracy of the simulation and
> length of time to generate the simulation. A higher cut-off indicates
> more accuracy but will take longer to simulate. I use low cut-offs for
> less important simulations like energy minimizations.

A higher cut-off does not necessarily indicate higher accuracy, for the
parameterization process used a particular cut-off. The model physics is
defined by all of the functional form, parameters, cut-offs, etc. The
validity of the parameters is intrinsically linked to that cut-off. One
might be able to demonstrate that one can get equivalently valid results
with a different (i.e. longer) cut-off, but then there's not yet a
demonstrated *increase* in accuracy. If the same parameters can produce
a better model physics at a longer cut-off, then there's probably a case
for further parameterization to do equivalently well for lower cost.

All this assumes a non-Ewald method. PME is a different matter entirely.

> An increase in density would mean a larger number of simulated molecules
> and therefore a need for a higher cut-off for more accurate data. That
> is my best theory anyway.

A higher density for a given cut-off increases the number of interaction
partners for each atom, but that implies nothing about the accuracy of
the model of that system at that density. A move from one density to
another during equilibration at a given cut-off tends to indicate the
unsuitability of the model physics at the former density.

Xavier Periole:
 > But I think we all agree on these issues: the treatment of long-range
 > interactions are delicate :))

Agreed, treating long-range interactions is delicate :-)

Mark