[gmx-users] installation problem

Rafael Real Guerra sirguerra at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 03:34:05 CET 2009

Hi
Well, let’s start saying that I’m new at Linux and I’m trying to start on Gromacs as well.
I’ve been trying to install Gromacs 4.0 in my computer (laptop ACER Aspire 4530, AMD Athlon 64X2) running Mandriva 2009 and I just got stuck at the very beginning.
I read I need a compiler, so I downloaded GFortran (gcc-trunk-x86_64.tar, from http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries64Linux).
 I unpacked the package using the command “tar xvfz gcc-trunk-x86_64.tar.gz”. A folder was created inside the folder I keep all the programs I am using (at “Home”).
After that, I tried to install Gromacs 4.0, and the follow screen shows up:
checking build system type… i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type… i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane… yes
checking for a thread-save mkdir –p… /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk… gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… no
checking how to create a ustar tar archive… gnutar
checking for cc… no
checking for icc… no
checking for xlc… no
checking for gcc… no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See ‘config.log’ for more details.

I know the problem is probably due to some error in Fortran installation (it should be moved to the “path”), but I have no idea how to solve it. What should I do?
Thanks
Sir Guerra