[gmx-users] installation problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 2 03:43:23 CET 2009

Rafael Real Guerra wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well, let’s start saying that I’m new at Linux and I’m trying to start
> on Gromacs as well.
>
> I’ve been trying to install Gromacs 4.0 in my computer (laptop ACER
> Aspire 4530, AMD Athlon 64X2) running Mandriva 2009 and I just got stuck
> at the very beginning.
>
> I read I need a compiler, so I downloaded GFortran
> (gcc-trunk-x86_64.tar, from
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries64Linux).
>
>  I unpacked the package using the command
> “tar xvfz gcc-trunk-x86_64.tar.gz”. A folder was created inside the
> folder I keep all the programs I am using (at “Home”).
>
> After that, I tried to install Gromacs 4.0, and the follow screen shows up:
>
> checking build system type… i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
>
> checking host system type… i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
>
> checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
>
> checking whether build environment is sane… yes
>
> checking for a thread-save mkdir –p… /bin/mkdir -p
>
> checking for gawk… gawk
>
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… no
>
> checking how to create a ustar tar archive… gnutar
>
> checking for cc… no
>
> checking for icc… no
>
> checking for xlc… no
>
> checking for gcc… no
>
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
>
> See ‘config.log’ for more details.
>

> I know the problem is probably due to some error in Fortran installation
> (it should be moved to the “path”), but I have no idea how to solve it.
> What should I do?

The error has nothing to do with Fortran; the problem is quite clear - the
configure script cannot find a C compiler.

Try typing "echo $PATH" at the command line to see which your PATH variable
includes.  If it does not include the directories within $HOME where you are
installing software, then add this directory to your PATH:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/software/bin (for example)

Also, when you are finally able to install Gromacs, at least install the newest
version (4.0.3) to get the newest bug fixes and revisions.

-Justin

> Thanks
>
> Sir Guerra

> Diversão em dobro: compartilhe fotos enquanto conversa usando o Windows
> Live Messenger.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/messenger.aspx>

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant