[gmx-users] Advice for simulating small DNA

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 05:58:38 CET 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Mark Abraham wrote:

> Joshua Ballanco wrote:
>>>
>>> Presumably you have a 3-mer of helices, of which at least one
>>> comes apart. Does a single helix in water survive? (Giving a
>>> better description of your simulation system would be a good idea!)
>> Apologies for not being more descriptive... It is a single strand
>> of DNA containing 3 A-T base pairs. The system also contains a
>> single Arginine residue. Simulating it in water leads to the single
>> DNA strand gradually coming apart. With the DNA and water alone,
>> the helix stays together much longer, but still eventually comes
>> apart.
>
> OK, so your model physics for DNA is intrinsically broken. Where did
> you get it?

The coordinates are from 3DNA. I'm using the terms from the G53a6
force field for DADE and DTHY. As for the H-bond physics, I've thus
far been unable to find a good suggestion for how to handle these
explicitly using Gromacs. Do you have a recommendation as to where I
should be looking? (None of the primary literature I've looked through
thus far seems concerned with MD of such short DNA fragments).

>>> Your .mdp settings for distance restraints may also be relevant
>>> here - not least in setting the existence and magnitude of these
>>> restraints.
>> As I understand, the only relevant lines are:
>> constraints         =  all-bonds
>> integrator          =  md
>> disre               =  simple
>
> disre-fc and others are also relevant. See manual chapter 7.

Thanks for the pointer. I had overlooked most of the options there,
since I'm not actually doing anything related to NMR. (That'll teach
me to read more carefully!) Unfortunately, playing around with this,
disre-tau, disre-weighting, and the weighting factors for each bond
have not, so far, avoided the explosion.

>> For PME I was using:
>> coulombtype         =  PME
>> rlist               =  0.55
>> rcoulomb            =  0.55
>> rvdw                =  0.55
>> fourierspacing      =  0.1375
>
> I agree with Justin that these are very weird for normal usage.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm relatively new with Gromacs, and
hastily reduced these values to fix the relatively small box my system
fits in. I doubled the short box dimension (triclinic; was --> 2.0,
2.1, 1.1 now --> 2.0, 2.1, 2.0) and increased the radii to the (as far
as I can tell) more recommended values:

coulombtype         =  PME
rlist               =  0.9
rcoulomb            =  0.9
rvdw                =  0.9
fourierspacing      =  0.12

Unfortunately, even with all of these changes, I'm still getting an
explosion (and my simulation is quite a bit slower).

Thanks again for the pointers. I'm going to try running everything
with ffamber to see if it does a better job with the DNA (without the
added restraints). I presume the port validated with Gromacs 3.3.1 is
still good for 4.0?

Thanks!

- Josh