[gmx-users] Advice for simulating small DNA

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 2 06:08:54 CET 2009

Joshua Ballanco wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Mark Abraham wrote:
>
>> Joshua Ballanco wrote:

>>> Apologies for not being more descriptive... It is a single strand of
>>> DNA containing 3 A-T base pairs. The system also contains a single
>>> Arginine residue. Simulating it in water leads to the single DNA
>>> strand gradually coming apart. With the DNA and water alone, the
>>> helix stays together much longer, but still eventually comes apart.
>>
>> OK, so your model physics for DNA is intrinsically broken. Where did
>> you get it?
>
> The coordinates are from 3DNA. I'm using the terms from the G53a6 force
> field for DADE and DTHY. As for the H-bond physics, I've thus far been
> unable to find a good suggestion for how to handle these explicitly
> using Gromacs. Do you have a recommendation as to where I should be
> looking? (None of the primary literature I've looked through thus far
> seems concerned with MD of such short DNA fragments).

>>> As I understand, the only relevant lines are:
>>> constraints         =  all-bonds
>>> integrator          =  md
>>> disre               =  simple
>>
>> disre-fc and others are also relevant. See manual chapter 7.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I had overlooked most of the options there,
> since I'm not actually doing anything related to NMR. (That'll teach me
> to read more carefully!) Unfortunately, playing around with this,
> disre-tau, disre-weighting, and the weighting factors for each bond have
> not, so far, avoided the explosion.
>
>>> For PME I was using:
>>> coulombtype         =  PME
>>> rlist               =  0.55
>>> rcoulomb            =  0.55
>>> rvdw                =  0.55
>>> fourierspacing      =  0.1375
>>
>> I agree with Justin that these are very weird for normal usage.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. I'm relatively new with Gromacs, and
> hastily reduced these values to fix the relatively small box my system
> fits in. I doubled the short box dimension (triclinic; was --> 2.0, 2.1,
> 1.1 now --> 2.0, 2.1, 2.0) and increased the radii to the (as far as I
> can tell) more recommended values:
>
> coulombtype         =  PME
> rlist               =  0.9
> rcoulomb            =  0.9
> rvdw                =  0.9
> fourierspacing      =  0.12
>
> Unfortunately, even with all of these changes, I'm still getting an
> explosion (and my simulation is quite a bit slower).

Read the primary literature references for Gromos96 53a6; I believe the rvdw
parameter should be 1.4 nm to keep consistent with the parameterization scheme.

Are your box dimensions really adequate?  A standard DNA helix should be about 2
nm wide, so your system may be seeing its periodic images if your box is only
about 2.0 nm across its shortest dimension.  Use, for example, editconf -c -d
1.0 to generate sufficient box dimensions.

-Justin

> Thanks again for the pointers. I'm going to try running everything with
> ffamber to see if it does a better job with the DNA (without the added
> restraints). I presume the port validated with Gromacs 3.3.1 is still
> good for 4.0?
>
> Thanks!

> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use thewww

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080