[gmx-users] free energy with TIP4P bug fixed

bharat v. adkar bharat at sscu.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Feb 3 16:16:00 CET 2009

dear Berk,
   please let us know whether following patch is correct for 3.3.1

diff orig-ns.c ns.c
2c2
<  * $Id: ns.c,v 1.84.2.3 2006/03/01 07:57:46 spoel Exp $
---
>  * $Id: ns.c,v 1.84.2.3.1 2009/02/03 20:27:00 hess Exp $
617c617
<   bool      bDoVdW_i,bDoCoul_i;
---
>   bool      bDoVdW_i,bDoCoul_i,bDoCoul_i_sol;
992,993c992,1009
<
<         if (bDoVdW_i || bDoCoul_i)
---

>          /* For TIP4P the first atom does not have a charge,
>           * but the last three do. So we should still put an atom
>           * without LJ but with charge in the water-atom neighborlist
>           * for a TIP4p i charge group.
>           * For SPC type water the first atom has LJ and charge,
>           * so there is no such problem.
>           */
>           if (iwater == esolNO)
>           {
>               bDoCoul_i_sol = bDoCoul_i;
>           }
>           else
>           {
>               bDoCoul_i_sol = bDoCoul;
>           }
>
>         if (bDoVdW_i || bDoCoul_i_sol)
1052c1068
<                             else if (!bDoCoul_i)
---
>                             else if (!bDoCoul_i_sol)

thanks
bharat

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Berk Hess wrote:

> [...]
>> To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
>> Subject: [gmx-users] free energy with TIP4P bug fixed
>>
>> Hi Berk,
>>
>> Could you please post the relevant cvs diff here? While my energies are now output consistently for zero-step mdruns while separating
>> my energygrps, I am still seeing some very aberrant behaviour when I apply the free-energy code during a 2-10 ns MD run,
>> even with lambda=0.0. I get the same strange behaviour whether I explicitly make a B-state with no charges in the .itp file
>> or instead utilize the couple-moltype mdp options.
>>
>> I will try the bash "export GMX_NO_SOLV_OPT" solution over the next few days, but I'd like to try all possible solutions in parallel
>> as this is beginning to take some time.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris.

>> Subject: RE: [gmx-users] Re: free energy with TIP4P bug fixed
>> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:48:20 +0100
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> You can apply the cvs diff.
>> But even simpler, as I said, is just putting your solute and solvent in separate charge** groups.
>>
>> **  I meant separate energy groups.
>>
>> This should circumvent the issue.
>>
>> Berk

>> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 06:35:24 -0600
>> Subject: [gmx-users] Re: free energy with TIP4P bug fixed
>>
>> Berk,
>> Any chance of getting a fix for 3.3.x versions also? I have several papers which probably are affected by this problem and I will need to repeat the calculations with a fixed version and produce errata. I would prefer to do this with 3.3.x since (a) not all of the data is with TIP4P, and so I don't need to repeat all the calcs, and would like to use a consistent version, and (b) I am not sure that 4.x does not introduce additional bugs that might affect my calcs.
>> Thanks!David
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 4:21 AM, Berk Hess wrote:Hi,
>>
>> The Coulomb energy difference that Chris Neale observed recently
>> was caused by a bug in the neighborlist assignment with the combination
>> of free energy and tip4p water optimization.
>> This bug would cause a few tip4p-tip4p charge interactions to be missing.
>> I think it has been present in all Gromacs version which have tip4p optimized loops,
>> for sure it was in 3.3.
>> I have fixed this for the upcoming Gromacs 4.0.4 release.
>>
>> I assume this bug also caused the cut-off dependence that David Mobley observed.
>>
>> I have done a lot of free energy calculation with tip4p and never noticed
>> any problems. This was because I always had the perturbed molecule
>> in a separate energy group, which circumvents the problem.
>>
>> So for the moment and for checking if you had the problem with older Gromacs
>> versions, you can simply put the perturbed atoms and tip4p in separate energy groups.
>>
>> Berk
>>

>> What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out
>>
>> See all the ways you can stay connected to friends and family

believed to be clean.