[gmx-users] pull_pbcatom appears global and could benifit from a sanity check during grompp

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 24 19:32:37 CET 2009

Thank you Berk,

I did not realize that one might want to use a pull_pbcatom that is
not part of the pull_group. In that case it makes sense that it should
remain a global atom index. My comment regarding being affected by
reordering the topology was indeed poorly constructed. What I meant was:

SOL     1000
Peptide 10

would require a different pull_pbcatom than

Peptide 10
SOL     1000

even if the pull_group was 'Peptide'.

Quoting your message:
"one can think of cases where an atom not part of the group is more central.
Code wise I don't see any reason why this should not work.
Are you sure that this does not work?"

Yes, it works fine, just not as I had expected. In my mistaken case, I
had placed pull_pbcatom0 as part of pull_group1 and ended up with a
pull_group0 that was often distributed to the corners of the box as
opposed to being in one central cluster.

Regarding the .ndx group, I agree that it is generally a waste of
time. It does, however, make it entirely clear that this is a global
atom selection. I am fine the way it is since I now understand it.

In case anyone is interested, I have placed a related item in the wiki
wishlist:
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Category:Development

Thank you again,
Chris.