[gmx-users] Some questions regarding generating topologies

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 3 17:34:34 CEST 2009

Manik Mayur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Even though after going through the manual, I still have some basic
> confusions regarding generating topologies.
>
> 1) I have generated an itp file after adding some Cl- ions using genion.
> It goes like this:

This is unnecessary.  Just #include "ions.itp" and the parameters for Cl- for
whatever force field you're using are included.

> [ moleculetype ]
> ; Name            nrexcl
> Cl_ion           0
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass
> typeB    chargeB      massB
>      1        CL-      1    Cl-     Cl      1         -1     35.453   ;
> qtot -1
>      2        CL-      2    Cl-     Cl      2         -1     35.453   ;
> qtot -2
>      3        CL-      3    Cl-     Cl      3         -1     35.453   ;
> qtot -3
>
> To allow nb interactions between all the atoms in the molecule Cl_ion,
> is setting nrexcl = 0 okay?
>
> 2) In spce.itp provided with GROMACS,
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; molname       nrexcl
> SOL             2
>
> while in the manual, on pg. 100 (Chapter-5 Topologies)
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; molname       nrexcl
> SOL             1
>
> why is the inconsistency?

Probably just a typo.

> 3) I am using SPC/E water model with GROMOS96 43a1 ff, (SPC is
> recommended). Since SPC/E is one of the most used model, should I
> consider using OPLS rather than GROMOS96, otherwise how significant will
> be the errors?

An excellent comparison of different force fields and different water models can
be found in:

Hess and van der Vegt (2006) J. Phys. Chem. B 110: 17616-17626.

> 4) I am using GROMOS96 43a1, so am I allowed to change combination rule
> to '2' ( '1'  is the default). How significantly will it affect the
> simulations?

I would say it invalidates everything.  The defaults for combination rules,
bonded parameters, etc. are as much a part of each force field as the atom types
and charges.

-Justin

> Any relevant idea/suggestion/reference is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Manik Mayur
> Graduate student
> Microfluidics Lab