[gmx-users] Some questions regarding generating topologies

Manik Mayur manik.mayur at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:45:33 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Manik Mayur wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Even though after going through the manual, I still have some basic
>> confusions regarding generating topologies.
>>
>> 1) I have generated an itp file after adding some Cl- ions using genion.
>> It goes like this:
>>

> This is unnecessary.  Just #include "ions.itp" and the parameters for Cl-
> for whatever force field you're using are included.

Thanks for the reply. I will try to follow your suggestion, but just for
clarification, setting nrexcl=0 will allow nb interaction between all the
atoms in a molecule?

 [ moleculetype ]
>> ; Name            nrexcl
>> Cl_ion           0
>>
>> [ atoms ]
>> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass  typeB
>>    chargeB      massB
>>     1        CL-      1    Cl-     Cl      1         -1     35.453   ;
>> qtot -1
>>     2        CL-      2    Cl-     Cl      2         -1     35.453   ;
>> qtot -2
>>     3        CL-      3    Cl-     Cl      3         -1     35.453   ;
>> qtot -3
>>
>> To allow nb interactions between all the atoms in the molecule Cl_ion, is
>> setting nrexcl = 0 okay?
>>
>> 2) In spce.itp provided with GROMACS,
>>
>> [ moleculetype ]
>> ; molname       nrexcl
>> SOL             2
>>
>> while in the manual, on pg. 100 (Chapter-5 Topologies)
>> [ moleculetype ]
>> ; molname       nrexcl
>> SOL             1
>>
>> why is the inconsistency?
>>

> Probably just a typo.

So the correct version will be nrexcl=2, which means atoms no more than 2
bonds away will be excluded from nb interactions. Is my undestanding
correct?