[gmx-users] Re: Issues regarding exclusions and Charge group distribution

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 12 05:16:00 CEST 2009

Manik Mayur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The last mail supposedly bounced from the server due to attachments. So
> please excuse in case you find this as a repetition.
>
> I am trying to simulate a system where I want to exclude all nb
> interactions between frozen groups. So I followed the manual and defined
> them in energygrp_excl. But upon doing that it throws the following
> warning.
>
> WARNING 1 [file topol.top, line 1583]:
>   Can not exclude the lattice Coulomb energy between energy groups
>
> What is the reason of the warning and should I be worried about it or
> safely ignore it.

So, what algorithm are you using for your long-ranged electrostatic
interactions? Do you know roughly how it works? Does it then make sense
to try to exclude some of the long-range interactions?

> Next, I am facing a strange problem with mdrun_mpi. If I run it on 4
> nodes then it throws up the following error. Which I traced to md.log
> where I saw:
>
> There are: 15923 Atoms
> Charge group distribution at step 0: 0 3264 3185 0 (why these zeroes?)

You have atoms that are not part of a charge group (or, probably, are
part of one of size one and charge zero.

> Grid: 3 x 4 x 5 cells
>
> However with 2 nodes it has and runs fine:
>
> There are: 15923 Atoms
> Charge group distribution at step 0: 3226 3223
> Grid: 4 x 5 x 25 cells
>
> The error-

No, that's the dump from MPI after the error. You need to consult both
the stdout and the .log file.

Mark