[gmx-users] Re: Issues regarding exclusions and Charge group distribution

Manik Mayur manik.mayur at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:06:55 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> Manik Mayur wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The last mail supposedly bounced from the server due to attachments. So
>> please excuse in case you find this as a repetition.
>>
>> I am trying to simulate a system where I want to exclude all nb
>> interactions between frozen groups. So I followed the manual and defined
>> them in energygrp_excl. But upon doing that it throws the following warning.
>>
>> WARNING 1 [file topol.top, line 1583]:
>>  Can not exclude the lattice Coulomb energy between energy groups
>>
>> What is the reason of the warning and should I be worried about it or
>> safely ignore it.
>>

> So, what algorithm are you using for your long-ranged electrostatic
> interactions? Do you know roughly how it works? Does it then make sense to
> try to exclude some of the long-range interactions?

I am using PME. I honestly do not have much idea about its implementation
details but I will definitely look into it. Here I was trying to remove all
interactions between the frozen group so that I can speedup my simulation a
little bit. Also since the atoms in the frozen group are uncharged, my basic
concern was to remove even the LJ interaction calculation.

Till now I have ignored the warning. So is it ok?

>  Next, I am facing a strange problem with mdrun_mpi. If I run it on 4 nodes
>> then it throws up the following error. Which I traced to md.log where I saw:
>>
>> There are: 15923 Atoms
>> Charge group distribution at step 0: 0 3264 3185 0 (why these zeroes?)
>>

> You have atoms that are not part of a charge group (or, probably, are part
> of one of size one and charge zero.

In my topology file, All the atoms that I have defined within a molecule do
belong to a charge group. Could you please elaborate on the second part of
your statement?

 Grid: 3 x 4 x 5 cells

>> However with 2 nodes it has and runs fine:
>>
>> There are: 15923 Atoms
>> Charge group distribution at step 0: 3226 3223
>> Grid: 4 x 5 x 25 cells
>>
>> The error-
>>

> No, that's the dump from MPI after the error. You need to consult both the
> stdout and the .log file.
>
> Mark
>
>  Making 1D domain decomposition 1 x 1 x 4
>> starting mdrun 'TransverseElectrode'
>> 100000 steps,    200.0 ps.
>> step 0
>>
>> NOTE: Turning on dynamic load balancing
>>
>> [md-comp1:32374] *** Process received signal ***
>> [md-comp1:32377] *** Process received signal ***
>> [md-comp1:32377] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
>> [md-comp1:32377] Signal code: Address not mapped (1)
>> [md-comp1:32377] Failing at address: (nil)
>> [md-comp1:32374] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
>> [md-comp1:32374] Signal code: Address not mapped (1)
>> [md-comp1:32374] Failing at address: (nil)
>> [md-comp1:32377] [ 0] [0xb7fd8440]
>> [md-comp1:32374] [ 0] [0xb7ef0440]
>> [md-comp1:32374] *** End of error message ***
>> [md-comp1:32377] *** End of error message ***
>>
>> I would be extremely thankful, if somebody points me to the source of the
>> error and the workaround.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manik Mayur
>> Graduate student