[gmx-users] Re: Re: protein in SDS/water

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 18 19:18:06 CEST 2009

Anna Marabotti wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> AAARRRGGGHH! The last case indicated in the wiki section about 0 topology was MY case: probably I was using a
> .mdp file that was created with Windows. When I re-wrote my em.mdp file using vi, it worked!!
>
> I'm sorry for all this waste of time, but as I told some days ago, I've problems in seeing the contents of the
> GROMACS site (old and new), and I could access to this information only through the link you sent me...
>
> A little suggestion for developers: would it be possible to insert an error message more indicative for this
> problem? I don't pretend that computers do everything I need, but it would be nice that they could at least
> suggest me a solution in a less cryptic way when I have such a trivial problem, so I can avoid boring the
> developers themselves...;-)

It's actually an extremely rare cause for the problem, and adding text
about DOS line endings there would confuse people, I think. Future
releases of GROMACS are supposed to have links to the Errors wiki page,
and this kind of information belongs there.

Preventing this problem is simple - even when working on a Windows
machine, don't use its tools for editing files! Use Cygwin, or tunnel
emacs out over X, or use emacs -nw, or vi. In extremis run everything
through dos2unix.

You were unlucky to have been compounding the problem with other
mistakes, though :-)

Mark