[gmx-users] pullx.xvg Meaning of output?

ilona.baldus at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de ilona.baldus at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 25 14:08:48 CEST 2009

What is meant by absolute reference? Can it be the Origin (0, 0, 0).
Does it assume a random reference point for the pullx.xvg? I get a
negative value for my first pulling group, even though it is inside
the box and above the origin. Furthermore 0-Zcoord(pullgrp) doesn't
fit either.
Does it make any difference if I use reference_group = system or no
reference group at all? Or what else do you usually use as a reference
group? What does the reference group do during the simulation? I
understand that pulling from both sides, Gromacs puts a spring at each
pullgroup. Is there any restraint on the reference group?

Cheers, Ilona

Quoting Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> In most cases you shoud NOT use an absolute reference.
> In plain MD there is not absolute reference, therefore pulling
> without a reference group is a recipe for trouble.
> By default center of mass motion removal will be turned on,
> in which case you are pulling against the center of mass of
> the whole system. If you have solvent, thermodynamically
> the pulling will have no effect, since the protein can move
> along, if you pull slow enough. If you pull too fast (which is
> very likely), you will get horrendous artifacts.
>
> Berk
>
>> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:02:41 +0200
>> From: ilona.baldus at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
>> To: gmx3 at hotmail.com
>> Subject: RE: [gmx-users] pullx.xvg  Meaning of output?
>>

>> Hi Berk,
>>
>> I am trying to unfold a protein by stretching/pulling it from both
>> sides in Z (and -Z) direction. To this end, I am trying to figure out
>> the best parameters. If I understand you correctly, it should not make
>> any difference to the pulling itself, i.e. the forces the protein
>> experiences, whether a reference group is chosen or not.
>> Unfortunately, my simulations show something different: I did exactly
>> the same pulling simulation twice, using a backbone atom as reference
>> group in the first case and no reference group in the second case. The
>> differences I found are as follows:
>> When I use no reference group, the molecule center moves less along
>> the Z axis than in case of a defined reference group. The reason I do
>> bother about that fact is that  I do not want my molecule to leave the
>> box on one end due to pulling effects even though the box is more than
>> 3 nm longer than the unfolded protein.
>> Also, pullf.xvg shows quite similar values for the simulation without
>> reference group whereas forces differ more if a reference group is
>> used. (see attached files). Why is that so?
>>
>> Best wishes, Ilona
>>

>> Quoting Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com>:
>>

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Everything depends on what you want to accomplish, which you
>> > do not write.
>> > I don't see why you would want to look at single atoms.
>> > Since you pull on COM's, only the COM coordinates are relevant.
>> > If you want to look at single atoms, simply store them in the xtc file.
>> >
>> > If you have only two groups, there is no physical difference between
>> > the reference group and  the first pull group. They are simply two
>> > groups between which the distance is calculated and the forces act.
>> > If you used an absolute reference, 0Z is the absolute reference
>> coordinate,
>> > not the coordinate of a group.
>> >
>> > Berk

>> it's FREE!

>> before posting!

>> > See all the ways you can stay connected to friends and family
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx
>>

>> Ilona Baldus
> [...]

Ilona Baldus
MPI Stuttgart