[gmx-users] Non-bonded Copper

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 29 01:45:12 CEST 2009

Matthew Roode wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Let me preface this by stating I'm new at MD simulation.  I am trying to
> perform a simulation which involves non-bonded copper atoms, amongst
> other things.  I'm making use of the Lennard-Jones potential to describe
> the non-bonded interactions between them, and I've input the parameters
> in the ff*nb.itp file after ensuring Cu was defined in the ffgmx.atp
> file.  I use x2top to generate the topology file, but the program stops
> on a fatal error telling me "No forcefield type for atom Cu (841) with 0
> bonds".  Can any of you out there offer any advice on the cause of said
> error?  Thus far my troubleshooting has failed.

As a general rule, don't use ffgmx. Like it says in the manual and
pdb2gmx, its usage is deprecated.

What you need is a forcefield that models non-bonded copper. That's
easier said than found. Most forcefields in common use with GROMACS are
for biochemical simulations, so you may not find anything suitable
already in GROMACS. Telling us your whole simulation system would have
been a good idea. Likely, you'll need to search literature for a
suitable model, which GROMACS is likely to be able to implement. That
might require a thorough knowledge of chapter 5 of the manual.