[gmx-users] shift function for vdwtype and density

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 19 01:10:53 CEST 2009

Yanmei Song wrote:
> Dear Mark:
>
> Thanks for your answer. I have to use the same mdp file for both water
> and another polymer molecules in my system, right?  Then if the shift
> function works well for the polymer, I can not get the best result for
> TIP5P?  The density of TIP5P is different from the literature value of
> 982. Thanks!

So your system is water + polymer?  In that case, you have an added variable -
the interaction between the water and your polymer.  What you should probably be
more concerned with the what the bulk density of the whole system is.  I have
found that analyzing densities of portions of mixed systems does not give an
accurate result.

-Justin

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     Yanmei Song wrote:
>
>         Dear All:
>
>         I found when I changed the vdwtype from cut-off to shift, the
>         density of the system decrease significantly.All the other
>         setting in the mdp file remain unchanged. For example the
>         density of TIP5P water drops to 962. Does it mean I can not use
>         the shift for vdwtype?
>

>     Maybe not. Check out the paper in which TIP5P was parameterized. The
>     greater the extent to which your .mdp conditions differ from those
>     conditions, the greater the likelihood that the parameterization is
>     no longer valid.
>
>     Mark
>     posting!
>     Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php