[gmx-users] Shared library version binary on CYGWIN

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed May 27 05:50:46 CEST 2009

Makoto Yoneya wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users:
>
> I'd like to get small sized shared library version GROMACS binary on
> windows-PC with CYGWIN (to use in some course).
> Even configured with "--enable-shared", the compiled binary set looks
> not the shared library version (no DLLs and the total binary set
> size was over 100MB).

You can't build DLLs since the cygwin build tools are unix-style, and
the GROMACS build strategy is unix-specific. --enable-shared also
probably won't work for unix-style shared libraries, because the dynamic
linker is probably the Windows ld.exe, which can't deal with unix-style
shared libraries.

It would be possible to make GROMACS write proper DLLs using the cygwin
dlltool functionality, but nobody has ever cared enough to do it. I'd
struggle to imagine a useful Windows environment where providing 100MB
of statically-linked executables was a serious problem. For a course,
you won't even need the whole executable set. mdrun, grompp, editconf,
pdb2gmx, genion, g_energy, trjconv and maybe one or two more analysis
tools to suit the course should do it.

Mark