[gmx-users] Re: Re: Unexplained crashes with Gromacs-4.0 & Neighbor Searching

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 28 15:43:43 CEST 2009

Inon Sharony wrote:

> I dumbed down the system (molecule) to keep the potential pitfalls to a
> minimum. One of the three atoms is just a deadweight (molecular weight
> 9999999.9) . Could this be the problem? If so, how? I'll try simulating
> a lighter molecule to see if that takes care of it.

Perhaps.  Diagnosing the original system that creates a problem is probably more
useful.

> Though this is "a commonly-reported problem", so far I failed in finding
> past reference to it in the archives -- at least I can't differentiate

Searching "range checking error" returns 270 results on the Search page.

> my problem with the one you reported, and another instance which turned
> out to be because the protein topology was completely out of order (from
> the Hydrogen at home people).

This issue usually results from a system "blowing up":

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/blowing_up

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate