[gmx-users] Docking with PyMol and using Gromacs

Nicolas Sapay nicolas.sapay at cermav.cnrs.fr
Thu Nov 12 09:39:39 CET 2009

Dallas B. Warren a écrit :

> Coordinate files like pdb and gro aren’t used by GROMACS to provide
> any bonding information. That is what the topology files are for. So
> their “presence” in your pdb isn’t an issue.
>
> Actually, what is probably happening is that PyMol is guessing the
> bonds presence, based on the distance between atoms, and displaying it
> (which is what VMD does as well). So the bonds aren’t actually there
> at all in the pdb file.

VMD can read/write CHARMM/NAMD topology files (namely psf files). If
your problem is *just* a visualization artefact, you can load your
structure in VMD, write a psf file and delete the unwanted bonds (this
does not require a specific forcefield). You can also combine 2 psf
files (1 for your protein and 1 for your ligand), that require some
basic knowledge of TCL though. After that, you just have to load the
topology abd the coordinates:

    vmd -psf topology.psf -pdb coordinate.pdb

You won't see any weird bonds.

Nicolas