[gmx-users] Segmentation fault while running MD simulation

rainy908 at yahoo.com rainy908 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 14 03:02:13 CET 2009

Hi Amit,

My system is quite large, comprising of a molecule, water, and Na+ ions,
summing up to 233863 (!) entities total.   Regarding the segmentation fault,
the MD simulation only ran for 2 steps before the system crashed.

Could the size of my system caused it to crash?  Also, in my md.log file,
the only error that I see is:

Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
Converged to machine precision,
but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 36 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
Potential Energy  = -6.9601880e+06
Maximum force     =  4.1059329e+02 on atom 454
Norm of force     =  2.6538130e+03

While I have encountered these messages before with other systems in the
past, I did not encounter any major problems (i.e. segmentation faults)
during their MD simulations.

Bests,
Lily