[gmx-users] Segmentation fault while running MD simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Nov 14 03:11:20 CET 2009

rainy908 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> My system is quite large, comprising of a molecule, water, and Na+ ions,
> summing up to 233863 (!) entities total.   Regarding the segmentation
> fault, the MD simulation only ran for 2 steps before the system crashed.

2 steps?  Your original post with verbose output indicated at least 1000 steps
had completed, certainly enough to see what's going on in the trajectory.

> Could the size of my system caused it to crash?  Also, in my md.log
> file, the only error that I see is:

There is no connection I can see between system size and crashing.  There was a
bug in version 4.0 that Berk fixed prior to the release of version 4.0.2, but I
think I was the only one who ever saw it, for some reason that is beyond me :)
What version of Gromacs are you using?

> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
> Converged to machine precision,
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10
>
> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

I thought constraints were set to "none" in your system; I doubt this will make
much of a difference, but the MARTINI developers suggest this setting as well.

> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 36 steps,
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
> Potential Energy  = -6.9601880e+06
> Maximum force     =  4.1059329e+02 on atom 454
> Norm of force     =  2.6538130e+03
>

> While I have encountered these messages before with other systems in the
> past, I did not encounter any major problems (i.e. segmentation faults)
> during their MD simulations.

I see nothing unreasonable about the EM results.  Definitely watch the
trajectory to get any clues as to where the instability starts.  If you can
afford the disk space, set nstxtcout = (some very small value) to try to capture
as many frames as possible before the crash.

Did grompp report any warnings about your settings?  What does the tc-grp
SOLVENT contain?  Is it just solvent + ions?

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080