[gmx-users] how to construct fatty acid

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 18 20:47:38 CET 2009

When I run grompp using all your files, I get a series of errors:

ERROR 1 [file topol.top, line 60]:
   No default Bond types

ERROR 2 [file topol.top, line 144]:
   No default Angle types

ERROR 3 [file topol.top, line 190]:
   No default Ryckaert-Bell. types

ERROR 4 [file topol.top, line 191]:
   No default Ryckaert-Bell. types

How did you deal with these?  The first refers to the OT-HO bond, for which
there is no known bond type, and the rest are a result of the same problematic
atom types.

I think you have the carboxylate oxygen types wrong.  The carbonyl O should be
opls_269, and the acid O (in the -OH functional group) should be opls_268.
These atom types are taken from the ASPH .rtp entry.  If you switch them, the
errors go away and the structure produced seems reasonable.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar