[gmx-users] velacc & box of water

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 11 18:54:49 CEST 2009

Jamie Seyed wrote:
> Dear Gmx users,
> Does any one know why genbox stops when I use this command:
> "genbox -cp resize.gro -cs spc216.gro -o b4em.pdb -p topol.top"
> or when I use this command:
> "genbox -cs spc216.gro -box 1 1 1 -maxsol 500 -o out.gro -p topol.top"
> It goes until
> Reading solvent configuration
> Solvent configuration contains 648 atoms in 216 residues
> and then stops....
> Would you please let me know why it happens?? Many Thanks in Advance/Jamie

Is "resize.gro" a new file?  Or something you have created before (i.e., an
empty file with a box size defined)?

Defining -box 1 1 1 generates a 1-nm cubic box, which is almost certainly too
small to contain 500 solvent molecules.  Define an appropriate box size.

-Justin

> [...]
>     In mailing list people say that we need to divide it by mass squared
>     and 1/3. Then I found another recent post that said it has been
>     included in the code... Would you please clarify this that if I need
>     the factors or not. Also I found 2 numbers after integration.
>
>     Integral   1   0.01595
>     set    average
>     SS1   3.718082e-04
>     Would you please inform me what are these number and what is the
>     relation between them?
>     Many Thanks in Advance/Jamie
>
>     On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
>     <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>         Jamie Seyed wrote:
>
>             Dear Gmx Users,
>             I have a 2 questions. First about g_velacc and calculating
>             the diffusion constant from that. In mailing list people say
>             that we need to divide it by mass squared and 1/3. Then I
>             found another recent post that said it has been included in
>             the code... Would you please clarify this that if I need the
>             factors or not. Also I found 2 numbers after integration.
>             Integral   1   0.01595
>             set    average
>             SS1   3.718082e-04
>             --1) Would you please inform me what are these number and
>             what is the relation between them?
>

>         Can't comment on the first part...maybe the code will point you
>         in the right direction?
>

>             --2) My second question is I want to make a box of only
>             water (spce) with let say 500 water molecules. Would you
>             please give me quick hints how to do it (the proper way) or
>             refer me to good point? Up to now I can only have 216 water
>             molecules from tuto/water folder and I tried a lot
>

>         This task might be approached in a couple of ways:
>
>         1. genconf -nbox to define a suitable number of replicate systems.
>         2. genbox -box -maxsol 500 to define a suitably-sized box and
>         fill it with only the desired number of molecules.
>
>         -Justin
>
>             to start from the beginning, but I could not make it... I
>             appreciate if you help me to understand the first issue and
>             be able to overcome the second one. Many Thanks in Advance/Jamie

>             before posting!
>             Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use
>             the www interface or send it to
>             gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>             <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>             Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

>         --
>         ========================================
>
>         Justin A. Lemkul
>         Ph.D. Candidate
>         ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>         Department of Biochemistry
>         Virginia Tech
>         Blacksburg, VA
>         jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu/> | (540) 231-9080
>         http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>         before posting!
>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080