[gmx-users] Re: individual lateral diffusion coefficients

Dallas Warren Dallas.Warren at monash.edu
Thu Dec 2 23:23:09 CET 2010

It seems to me that it will be for the reasons mentioned in the paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2393240 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2393240>

By focusing on the phosphate atom, you are measuring the actual movement of the entire lipid molecule within the membrane, which is the diffusion that is measured typically experimentally.  If you use the entire molecule, then you get the movement of the alkane chains as well, which increase the diffusion coefficient by more than a factor of ten.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren

Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action

Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren at monash.edu

+61 3 9903 9304