[gmx-users] Vacuum FF in Gromacs-4.0.5

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Jan 29 08:34:49 CET 2010

On 1/29/10 8:29 AM, Berk Hess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I removed this force field on purpose.
> The name is already very confusing. It is not a vacuum force field at all.
> It is an implicit solvent force field, but a quite bad one.
> It only scales down the charges on groups with net charge.
> If you really want to simulate a protein in vacuum do NOT use this force
> field.
>
> If you really, really want to use this force field, download an old Gromacs
> distribution and copy the parameter files.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to simulate what happens
to a protein under vacuum conditions you could use a normal force field,
but you have to consider which sidechains are charged. See e.g.:
Biochemistry 46 pp. 933-945 (2007)
http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?bi061182y/B6CC
or
Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 11 pp. 8069-8078 (2009)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b903846a