[gmx-users] gromacs memory usage

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Mar 4 02:23:59 CET 2010

Hi,

a couple of points:

1) you will need some additional memory for the system, MPI, the binary,
.... - how much this is does not depend on GROMACS (ask e.g. your sys-admin)
2) you might want to try to run only 1 rank on the first node (how to do
this depends on your MPI implementation and should be asked on the specific
MPI list)
3) By setting limits (e.g. ulimit with bash) you can prevent the system to
freeze (again ask you sysadmin about how to use limits)
4) You can compile GROMACS with CFLAGS="-DPRINT_ALLOC_KB" and it gives debug
information about the memory usage. This can be used to verify the my/Berk's
numbers

Roland