[gmx-users] Gromacs 4.0.6 installation error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 5 19:10:29 CET 2010

Dian Jiao wrote:
> Actually, I tried 4.0.7 first from this link,
> http://www.gromacs.org/index.php?title=Download_%26_Installation
>
> It didn't work (same error). That's why I downloaded 4.0.6 from the same
> webpage.

Well, downgrading is usually not the answer, especially if you're downgrading to
a broken distribution.  Maybe this should be removed from the downloads page...

In any case, if a Makefile wasn't generated, then the configuration can't be OK.
  Some error must have come up.  Check the screen output and config.log, if
necessary.  Once you have an actual error message, you stand to get better
advice on how to fix it.

-Justin

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Dian Jiao wrote:
>
>         I was following the instruction to install gromacs 4.0.6 on my
>         machine.
>
>         ./configure --enable-threads --enable-float --|enable-sse
>         --prefix=[mypath]|
>         make
>         make install
>         The configure looks ok but no Makefile is generated. When I do
>         make or make install, it gives me the error:
>
>         make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>
>         There are couple makefiles in the directory though, Makefile.in
>         and Makefile.am, do I need to rename one of them to Makefile to
>         make it work?
>

>     Per the warning on the Gromacs homepage, version 4.0.6 is a broken
>     distribution.  Use version 4.0.7 instead.
>
>     -Justin
>
>         Dian
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul