[gmx-users] Re:problem with interaction energy calculated by g_energy

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 9 12:26:31 CET 2010

On 9/03/2010 9:32 PM, Qiong Zhang wrote:

>   Hi gmx users,
>
> I found the big discrepancy between the interaction energy I got from my
> first approach and send approach should be ascribed to a bug reported here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gmx-users@gromacs.org/msg20963.html
>
> The gromacs I am using now is exactly gmx4.0.4. I also reran with a
> parallel version and the energies never changed during the rerun stage.

Well that's why we tell people to report their GROMACS version. :-)
Using the latest version, and announcing what you are using can help you
avoid wasting people's time :-)

> Still, the discrepancy in the energies between the second approach and
> the third approach is still puzzled to me. Which one is the correct way
> of calculating interaction energy?

Like I said last time, you can't do this with PME. The reciprocal-space
calculation cannot be decomposed group-wise. Go read up on PME if you
don't understand this.

Also last time I pointed out this was a non-problem, for such an
interaction energy doesn't mean much of anything anyway, even if you
calculate it with some other electrostatics model.

Mark