[gmx-users] g_dist output

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 9 15:11:51 CET 2010

John Shultz wrote:
> I tried using the xtc instead but it says the atom range is outside the index

Well, 3868 is the number of atoms in your protein, so I'm guessing you set
"xtc_grps = Protein" in the .mdp file.  If you want to analyze other groups,
then you have to actually save their coordinates when running your MD.

-Justin

> [...]
>> -[no]xvgr    bool   yes     Add specific codes (legends etc.) in the output
>>                            xvg files for the xmgrace program
>> -dist        real   0       Print all atoms in group 2 closer than dist to
>>                            the center of mass of group 1
>>
>> Reading file md.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
>> Group     0 (      System) has 38210 elements
>> Group     1 (     Protein) has  3868 elements
>> Group     2 (   Protein-H) has  1980 elements
>> Group     3 (     C-alpha) has   244 elements
>> Group     4 (    Backbone) has   732 elements
>> Group     5 (   MainChain) has   974 elements
>> Group     6 (MainChain+Cb) has  1206 elements
>> Group     7 ( MainChain+H) has  1198 elements
>> Group     8 (   SideChain) has  2670 elements
>> Group     9 ( SideChain-H) has  1006 elements
>> Group    10 ( Prot-Masses) has  3868 elements
>> Group    11 ( Non-Protein) has 34342 elements
>> Group    12 (         LIG) has    46 elements
>> Group    13 (         SOL) has 34212 elements
>> Group    14 (          Na) has    48 elements
>> Group    15 (          Cl) has    36 elements
>> Group    16 (       Other) has 34342 elements
>> Select a group: Selected 1: 'Protein'
>> Select a group: Selected 12: 'LIG'
>> Reading frames from gro file 'Protein in water', 38210 atoms.
>> Last frame          0 time    0.000
>>
>> gcq#89: "This Doesn't Suck, It's a Black Hole !" (K.A. Feenstra)
>>

>> # This file was created Tue Mar  9 13:58:58 2010
>> # by the following command:
>> # g_dist -f md.gro -s md.tpr -n index.ndx
>> #
>> # g_dist is part of G R O M A C S:
>> #
>> # GROup of MAchos and Cynical Suckers
>> #
>> @    title "Distance"
>> @    xaxis  label "Time (ps)"
>> @    yaxis  label "Distance (nm)"
>> @TYPE xy
>> @ view 0.15, 0.15, 0.75, 0.85
>> @ legend on
>> @ legend box on
>> @ legend loctype view
>> @ legend 0.78, 0.8
>> @ legend length 2
>> @ s0 legend "|d|"
>> @ s1 legend "d\sx\N"
>> @ s2 legend "d\sy\N"
>> @ s3 legend "d\sz\N"
>>   0.0000000    0.1572016   -0.1153002   -0.0301313   -0.1025198

>>> You're analyzing a .gro file, so there is no time information stored.  If
>>> you analyze a trajectory (i.e., .xtc or .trr), then the time is saved in the
>>> individual frames.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul
>>> Ph.D. Candidate
>>> ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>>> MILES-IGERT Trainee
>>> Department of Biochemistry
>>> Virginia Tech
>>> Blacksburg, VA
>>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
>>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee