[gmx-users] Re:problem with interaction energy calculated by g_energy

Qiong Zhang qiongzhang928 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 10:46:54 CET 2010

Hi gmx users,

Thanks Mark very much for all your suggestions, for your detailed explanation and your patience with me. :-)

Actually, I am going to study the desorption free energy of molecule 1 from the surface of molecule 2. So first I have to carry out the absorption of molecule 1 onto surface of molecule 2. I have tried 8 different orientations of molecule 1 with respect to the surface and have to choose ONE orientation with the most stability to proceed. I think the best criteria to choose ONE orientation is to compare the interaction energy between molecule 1 and 2. You mentioned relative free energy. But it seems to me difficult to compare the relative free energy between different orientations.  I read some papers on the simulation of Protein on some surface simulated by NAMD, [for example, Biomaterials 29 (2008) 513–532] The approach they adopted is also to compare the interaction energy (E_inter = E_(1+2) - E_1 - E_2). They also used PME to deal with the long range electrostatic interaction. The force field they used is charmm.

Any advice or comment are welcome!

Thank you very much in advance.

Qiong