[gmx-users] Brownian Dynamics - Tabulated Potential

Jun Soo Kim junsookim76 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 16:55:03 CET 2010

Hi,

I am trying the brownian dynamics simulations of a polymer chain using
FENE potential and some effective potential. For this purpose, I made
tabulated potentials for polymer bonds and non-bonded interactions,
and the simulations are running fine.

As far as I know, the Brownian dynamics simulations only need the
forces at each time step (eq. 3.64 in Manual). So I tested the BD
simulation by setting the potential energy equal to Zero while keeping
the force unchanged. Then I have a problem with simulations. The bonds
are broken. I do not understand why we need the potential energy in
Brownian dynamics simulations. It would be really appreciated if
anyone provides any hint.

Here is a piece of the bonding tabulated potential of FENE with the
potential set as zero and the force unchanged.

Thanks,
Jun Soo

# 	r		U(r)		-U'(r)
    4.950   0.00000       11.5494