[gmx-users] problem with using pdb2gmx on a single amino acid

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 12 19:16:09 CET 2010

Joe Joe wrote:
> I think there is a tdb problem when using pdb2gmx on a single amino
> acid. The tdb databases replaces the CA with different charges depending
> on whether its a c or n termini. When its a single amino acid you get
> the c terminal charge and thus the overall charge is incorrect. Am I
> missing something?

That will depend somewhat on which force field you're using.  A quick look at
ffG53a6-n/c.tdb indicates there should be no conflict; CA is only replaced in
the -n.tdb file, there is no competing CA replacement in -c.tdb.  In OPLS, you
just have to be sure you're choosing the zwitterion form for each terminus
(since you have a zwitterionic single amino acid), or else you will get conflict.

-Justin

> Thanks,
>
> Ilya

Justin A. Lemkul