[gmx-users] Energy per residue

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 12 23:09:21 CET 2010

afsaneh maleki wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I want to get energy per residue not time. if i use mdrun -rerun  with
> energygrps in md.mdp  then g_energy i obtain enery per time not residue.
> at last, i don't understand how to get Energy per residue .

As I said before, as an absolute, "energy per residue" is not a straightforward
term, and even if it was, likely has no physical meaning.  The potential energy
function is complicated, depending upon the positions of all the particles in
the system; that is, nearby particles will interact via Coulombic and vdW
interactions, but you can't simply extract out either of these terms for any
specific residue.  There are numerous useful posts in the list archive on