[gmx-users] Free Energy Calculation

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Mon Mar 22 10:56:02 CET 2010

Hi Anirban,

You *could* use the configurations in your trajectory to (re)calculate average energies; by de-coupling your ligand this would get you the average free energy change per coupling strength change at the point where the ligand is fully bound.

If you're interested in free energy of binding, and want to use a correct free energy method, you'll probably need to do at least 10 simulations between your system with the ligands bound, and a version of your system with the ligand not bound to the protein - just to correctly sample the mutually accessible phase space between those two states.

These calculations are decidedly non-trivial, though, and I'd recommend reading up on how to do these things in Frenkel&Smit ('Understanding molecular simulations'), for example.

Sander