[gmx-users] Re: cutoff problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:08:55 CET 2010

Vitaly V. Chaban wrote:

>>> The common rule for all FFs is to set the LJ-cutoff around
>>> 2.5*sigma(LJ12-6). In fact, you'll get about 0.9 nm for the most
>>> objects. I see nothing terrible if you use, say, 1.4 nm just because
>>> the difference will be negligible.
>> Where is that coming from? This is so wrong!
>
>>From the properties of LJ12-6 curve.
> attr
>>> Just test it. :)
>> I've you ever tried that on a lipid bilayer?
>
> My interests are a bit shifted from bilayers. What concrete atom pair
> will cause the problem in your example?
>
>> Who could ever say (whatever force field) a vdW cutoff of 0.9/1.4 nm
>> is no difference?

The value of rvdw strongly affects properties of lipid bilayers.  It is not
true, in this case at least, to say that the differences between rvdw = 0.9 and
1.4 are negligible.  Perhaps in aqueous systems, where Coulombic interactions
dominate, the effect is minimal, but I can't speak to that directly.  With
bilayers, from Patra et al. (2003) Biophys. J. 84: 3636-3645:

"Simulations similar to those with rvdw = 1.0 nm have been run with rvdw = 1.4
nm.  The average area per lipid using PME is reduced by 0.051 nm^2, whereas the
average areas per lipid for three different cutoffs - rcut = 1.8 nm, 2.0 nm, or
2.5 nm - are reduced by 0.017, 0.046, and 0.067 nm^2, respectively.  This trend
is understandable since an increase in rvdw effectively increases the attractive
interaction between the acyl chains, thus reducing the area per molecule."

The balance of attractive and repulsive forces used in the derivation of the
force field can indeed be affected by changing these parameters, as is quite
clear from the statement above.

-Justin

>>> --
>>> Dr. Vitaly Chaban