[gmx-users] query regarding neutralisation of charge on protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:21:51 CET 2010

sonali dhindwal wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am trying to do MD on my modelled protein and when I ran pdb2gmx
> command, it is showing that
> Total charge -12.000 e
>
> now I read in the tutorial that when there is a total charge, then we
> have to neutralise that charge by adding ions, but in my case it is in
> negative (what the output is showing). So what should I do ?

Why is a negatively-charged protein theoretically any different from a
positively-charged one?  Instead of adding negative ions, add positive ones to
compensate for the charge.  The same principle applies - the net charge of the
system, once constructed, should be neutral.

-Justin

> Please help
> Regards
> --
> Sonali Dhindwal

> Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!
> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_ie8_new/*http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/>.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar