[gmx-users] suitable parameter settings for intermolecular non-bonded interaction

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Wed Mar 31 12:56:45 CEST 2010

Hi Vedat,

If I understand it correctly, you're trying to calculate the free energy of binding using the LIE method. Then keep in mind that LIE is an approximate method, and that any accuracy you're trying to achieve is going to be limited by the approximations of LIE.

Your 'primary literature' would in your case be the existing literature about LIE (e.g. Aqvist & Marelius, Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2001 Dec;4(8):613-26 and later publications). Those publications should address all of your issues, including the force fields to choose, and the vdw cut-off.

One exception is the coulomb cut-off radius, which, used together with the fourier spacing, should be used to tune the amount of CPU time spent calculating real-space vs. reciprocal space calculations, and not so much the accuracy of the resulting energies.

Sander