[gmx-users] Unneccessary bonding

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Mon May 3 18:37:43 CEST 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 6:27 PM, abdullah ahmed wrote:

> They are on the inside of the structure. I don't think it is caused
> by a water molecule, because I ran editconf and genbox again and got
> the same result. (I have assumed that water molecules are added to
> the structure in a random fashion in areas not already occupied by
> other atoms)
genbox is not necessarily able to place water molecules in small
confined spaces
in a protein. You should check the pdb structure and see if there is
not a water molecule
in that "space". Note that this was only a idea ... not necessarily
your problem.
a better probe of the distance between the two residue side chain
would be to use
the C of the COO group and the N of the NH3 group. You might observe
reorientation
the the "satellite atoms" (O and H) while the center of the group is
actually keeping
a reasonable distance.
Basically all goes in checking what kind of deformation you observe
during your
minimization, a single distance is not necessarily meaningful.
> If you like I can send you the structures in PDB form.
Not necessary