[gmx-users] Unneccessary bonding

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 3 18:30:18 CEST 2010

abdullah ahmed wrote:
> They are on the inside of the structure. I don't think it is caused by a
> water molecule, because I ran editconf and genbox again and got the same
> result. (I have assumed that water molecules are added to the structure
> in a random fashion in areas not already occupied by other atoms)
>
> If you like I can send you the structures in PDB form.

If the two residues are in the protein interior, there likely won't be water
there (nor should there be).  Electrostatic interactions in the core of a
protein is an interesting topic and there is lots of literature about it,
including whether or not certain ionization states should exist and whether or
not they are functionally relevant.

For charged residues in a protein interior, I see no problem whatsoever with
what you're seeing.

-Justin