[gmx-users] naive question about the c-terminus

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 10 16:29:18 CEST 2010

abdullah ahmed wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a naive question and I have been trying to find a solution
> myself, but I just don't understand what is wrong.
>
> When I run pdb2gmx with "-ter" on my molecule I get the following error
> message when I ask for a COOH to be made at the C terminus (I get no
> error when I ask for COO- ):
>
> Atom O2 not found in residue 22 while adding improper.
>
> However, My PDB file ends with:
> ATOM    282  C   LEU B  44      -5.138 -16.681   4.219  1.00  0.00
> B1   C
> ATOM    283  O1  LEU B  44      -4.407 -17.877   3.685  1.00  0.00
> B1   O
> ATOM    284  O2  LEU B  44      -6.471 -16.388   3.597  1.00  0.00
> B1   O
> TER     286      LEU B  44
>
> Therefore, the O2 atom is clearly there.

The error message comes from residue 22, not 44.  I'm guessing there is another
chain, for which residue 22 is the C-terminus?  Likely this one is missing O2.

> I considered the idea that the error was because there is no Hydrogen at
> the end of the PDB file to make the H in COOH. So I used ZZ vega to add
> a hydrogen to O2. When this did not work I tried adding one to O1, but I
> kept getting the following error:
> "Atom H1 in residue 22 not found in rtp entry with 19 atoms..."

The force field expects that all of the atoms in the residue have specific
names.  Adding a hydrogen should be done automatically, from the .hdb and/or
.tdb file(s).

-Justin

> Thank you in advance,
> Abdullah

> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign
> up now. <https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969>

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar