[gmx-users] protein Aggregation using Gromacs

Ran Friedman r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Wed May 12 12:27:34 CEST 2010

Hello again -

IMHO the best approach for any simulation study is to plan how the
simulation will be used to solve a specific scientific problem before
running the simulations, rather then the other way around. To clarify
what I wrote below, there's no algorithm I'm aware of where the input is
an MD simulation of a certain protein and the output is an aggregation
propensity of certain residues.

Having said that, simulations can be a useful tool to study amyloid
aggregation and even tendency of specific residues to aggregate first. A
useful approach was developed in the group where I work now, based on
the aggregation propensity of peptide sequences decomposed from the
whole protein:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2006.01.009

Using your simulations, you can check if some residues are more prone to
lose their secondary structure as the temperature increases, which
suggests that they are more likely to unfold. Do bear in mind though
that aggregation is a complex process which involves multimers. Unless
you show some correlation with experimental findings it will be
difficult to defend your conclusions.

Ran