[gmx-users] Polymer simulation help and suggestions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 23 18:47:00 CEST 2010

Caleb Tormey wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have just started working with GROMACS and simulation in general.  I
> will be doing simulation of PEO with various ions and need a little
> help.  I have read a great deal of the documentation and now edited the
> appropriate .rtp and.itp files to generate my polymer from a .pdb file
> using pdb2gmx and it seems to be generating my topology and .gro files
> correctly.
>
> My question is if I wish to keep a static bond length do I address this
> in the bond information or is there something in the .mdp file that will
> address this?

Use the "constraints" keyword in your .mdp file.  See the manual.

> I also would like some suggestions for a few other things.  To make my
> preliminary polymer I used a molecular modeling/editor program called
> Avogadro but was wondering if there is something better to use to create
> the random walk long chain polymer?

There are several programs that can build molecules, like xLeap (part of
AmberTools) and even VMD has some capabilities for building molecules.  I don't
know about polymers specifically.

> Also, I was just going to create my own ion files and use genion to
> incorporate those into the simulation but didn't know if this was the
> best way to do this.

To what files are you referring?  Are you introducing new parameters of some
sort?  Be aware that pre-defined ion parameters are included as part of all the
force field parameter sets packaged with Gromacs, so any new parameters must be
validated before being used.

> And lastly when I need to create a multiple polymer simulation my plan
> was to use genconf and generate a crystal with the appropriate number of
> polymers and then just heat it up to melt it.  This seems to be a good
> way to do it however, another person in my group who used NAMD used a
> program called PackMol and had some success and was wondering if anyone
> else had used this program and would recommend this route?

Either way should work fine.  PackMol does a good job of generating initial
configurations given geometrical constraints, but your procedure should work if
you do sufficient heating to change the initial structure.

-Justin

> Thank you in advanced.
> Regards,
> Caleb