[gmx-users] Re: the output of do_dssp

Hsin-Lin jiangsl at phys.sinica.edu.tw
Wed May 26 07:17:54 CEST 2010

Hi, Justin

Thank you for your patience.
According your reply, I used trjconv to write only protein group into
another file.
I execute do_dssp again in group "protein"and "mainchain" respectively but
still get coils more than total residues.
Why?

Hsin-Lin

Hsin-Lin wrote:
> Hi, Justin:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> I try to select the group, 'mainchain', when prompted, and get the
quantity
> of coil still larger than the number of residues of my protein.

Then some other elements of your system are being detected as containing
relevant atoms.  What happens if you run do_dssp on a single structure
containing only your protein?

> The data is the same as the output that generated by the selection, "1.
> Protein".
> If I select backbone, I get the fatal error:
> Failed to execute command: /Prousr/statphys/hsinlin/dssp/dsspcmbi -na
> ddhIPvCe ddJ6Yv7a > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
>
> And I don't understand even if I can run the selection, "backbone",
> successfully.

No, you can't.

> According the dssp web of wiki:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSSP_%28protein%29
> the hydrogen bonds are dicided by O, C, H, and N four atoms.
> How can we get dssp analysis by backbone that includes only
NCCNCCNCC.....?

You can't - DSSP requires the presence of the carbonyl O in order to
determine
hydrogen bonding geometry.  If you don't have a full carbonyl, the analysis
fails.

-Justin