[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 73, Issue 188

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Fri May 28 19:13:42 CEST 2010

 >Hi,
 >
 >Thanks Thomas
 >I believe you are right...
 >when I used g_traj, I also got this non-sense displacement...
 >And if you check the trajectory on vmd, you see a gradually increasing
 >pulling velocity
 >What is bothering me more is that the problem is not the pull output >but
 >(I guess) the simulation itself...

Yes the problem lies in the simulation setup (or so i think, because i
don't know how big your simulation box is and how far you want pull the
molecule). But if it is a problem because of pbc the following could help.
If you have two molecules which are 1nm apart from each other and you
want to pull one of it 3nm away, your box length in that direction must
be longer then 2 * 4nm, because else you run into problems with pbc.

To get a better feeling about this, take a simple test system:
Two water molecules in vaccum and pull the away from each other. Center
them in the box and them the boxlength apart. Do this one time with pbc
and one time without pbc. Then look at the difference in the output of
pullf and pullx.

Another thing:
About the negative force:
If you pull in the direction of a box vector the force will be positive,
if you pull along the other direction (so in the 'minus' direction) the
force will be negative.
To be sure you could use the above test system and pull the other water
molecule away. Since they are vaccum simulations, they are really fast,
so it doesn't hurt to do it :)

Greetings
Thomas