[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 73, Issue 188

Aykut Erbas aerbas at ph.tum.de
Fri May 28 19:47:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

Thanks Thomas and Justine for your help

Thomas Schlesier wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Thanks Thomas
> >I believe you are right...
> >when I used g_traj, I also got this non-sense displacement...
> >And if you check the trajectory on vmd, you see a gradually increasing
> >pulling velocity
> >What is bothering me more is that the problem is not the pull output
> >but
> >(I guess) the simulation itself...
> >

> Yes the problem lies in the simulation setup (or so i think, because i
> don't know how big your simulation box is and how far you want pull
> the molecule). But if it is a problem because of pbc the following
> could help.
> If you have two molecules which are 1nm apart from each other and you
> want to pull one of it 3nm away, your box length in that direction
> must be longer then 2 * 4nm, because else you run into problems with pbc.
My system size 8x4x7nm^3, and the size of the peptide is 4.5 nm
The problem lies here I need really large displacements far more larger
than even the box length  (like I did many times on Gromacs 3.3), in
this case only way is to increase the system size  which does not look
reasonable...
 I think currently I will stick to G3.3 and forget about
periodic_molecules option :)
or I can set pull_pbcatom to an atom at the very edge of the surface
and gain some more displacement

thanks for your help and interest