[gmx-users] Density Differences

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:52:52 CEST 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> The original paper (J. Chern. Phys., Vol. 79, No.2, 15 July 1983)
> stated a density of 0.999g/cc at 298K and 1atm, which is nowhere
> close to the value i have got. (1.025g/cc). or is this value tolerable?

That's a 2.6% difference.  I wouldn't call that "nowhere close."  Unless you are
literally reproducing the exact same system used during parameterization (which
you're not, based on your system contents and the use of algorithms like PME
that didn't exist in 1983) then you shouldn't necessarily expect identical results.

-Justin

> [...]
>         <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>> wrote:
>

>            Kavyashree M wrote:
>
>                Dear gromacs users,
>                 I am trying to simulate a 225aa protein at 300K in water,
>                with OPLSAA force filed, tip4p water model, using the
>                parameters below (for pressure equilibration) during
>

>            You're not doing NPT.  You haven't specified pcoupl or any of the
>            other relevant parameters, so you're doing NVT.
>

>                position restrained md.
>
>                integrator              = md                  dt
>                             = 0.002                nsteps
>            = 50000                  nstcomm                 = 10
>               nstlist                        = 5
>          ns_type                 = grid                  pbc
>                 = xyz             rlist                          = 1.40
>                coulombtype             = PME  rcoulomb                =
>         1.40            vdwtype                 = Switch
>         rvdw_switch                    = 0.9              rvdw
>                  = 1.00                        fourierspacing          =
>         0.12              pme_order                      = 4
>              ewald_rtol              = 1e-5
>          optimize_fft            = yes Tcoupl                         =
>         nose-hoover       tc_grps                 = Protein  Non-Protein
>                tau_t                   = 0.4      0.4         ref_t
>                              = 300      300        nh-chain-length
>           = 1            gen_vel                 = no     continuation
>                  = yes          constraints             = all-bonds
>                constraint-algorithm    = LINCS
>                lincs-order             = 4            lincs-iter
>              =
>                1               lincs-warnangle         = 30
>                when I calculate the densities, the average came out to be
>                1025.91 kg/m^3,
>                Could anyone please clarify me the reason for this density.
>

>            Simulating with the right ensemble (NPT) will equilibrate the
>            pressure and thus density.  As a fundamental point, please also
>            realize that each water model has its own (different) expected
>            density value, which is also influenced somewhat by the remaining
>            contents of the system.  Therefore, the result you obtain may
>         not be
>            in exact agreement with experimental bulk density of water.
>
>            -Justin
>

>                Thanking you
>                With regards
>                Kavya
>

>            --     ========================================
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            MILES-IGERT Trainee
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> <http://vt.edu> | (540)
>         231-9080
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>            Please search the archive at
>            http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>         posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080