[gmx-users] atom types

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 2 14:44:55 CEST 2011

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, or worse insolent. But what
> is the point in stating the charges in the atom type section then ?

They're probably a holdover from some earlier Gromacs version (an ancient one)
that used those charges somehow, or they were listed there as some grand idea to
have a more universal, streamlined topology builder that could use generic
charges.  Just a guess.  They stayed there because it's far easier to just
ignore the unnecessary information than the re-write the code and those files
such that the lines are read properly with one less field.  The charges can be
useful for starting parameterization; they are based on common functional groups
that may not be far off from the correct values in many cases.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar