[gmx-users] atom types

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 2 14:54:42 CEST 2011

On 02/08/11, Gavin Melaugh  <gmelaugh01 at qub.ac.uk> wrote:
> I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, or worse insolent. But what
> is the point in stating the charges in the atom type section then ?

It would make sense for a force field that had a fixed charge for some/all atom types. If any such force fields exist, they don't get used for biomolecular MD. I don't know if such a force field can be implemented in GROMACS (per my earlier comment about checking the code). In some cases, grompp does a bunch of fancy footwork to try to infer the format of the content of the input lines. It's possible it can recognize that a charge field is missing and perhaps the charge gets read from [atomtypes] - but that is just not useful for biomolecular MD.

Another possibility is that the file formats serve other purposes (possibly in the distant past).

Mark