[gmx-users] git release-4-5-patches behind proxy

César Ávila clavila at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:03:26 CEST 2011

I want to calculate secondary structure propensities of residues.

Following Mark's message on thread
Re: [gmx-users] secondary structure propensities of residues

I would like to get the release-4.5-patches from git (in order to get
do_dssp.c). Nevertheless I found problems while trying to fetch it from git
repository due to the proxy. (I followed the advices on
http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Git_Tutorial#Git_behind_a_proxy

$ git clone git://git.gromacs.org/gromacs.git
Initialized empty Git repository in ~/gromacs/.git/
2011/08/09 10:37:46 socat[17264] E CONNECT git.gromacs.org:9418: Forbidden

I tried the alternative suggested by Roland

git clone  http://repo.or.cz/r/gromacs.git
Initialized empty Git repository in ~/gromacs/.git/

The gromacs directory is created and populated. After this I ran

$git branch
* master

$git checkout --track -b release-4-5-patches origin/release-4-5-patches
fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches.
Did you intend to checkout 'origin/release-4-5-patches' which can not be
resolved as commit?

Is this a problem of the server I am using or is it just a misuse of git?

Thanks