[gmx-users] Contribution of delta bonding energy in the delta free energy

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 10 01:32:47 CEST 2011

afsaneh maleki wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
> I used thermodynamics integration method (TI) to obtain delta Gibbs
> energy of the protein membrane with dual topology.
>
> topology A (lambda=0) to topology B (lambda=1)

What did you alter between these two topologies?  Nonbonded terms (atom types
and/or charges)?

> What i obtained after using mdrun command to calculate free energy is
> dgdl.xvg that contain dV(total)/dlamda via time. I want to obtein
> dV(bond)/dlamda and dV(non-bond)/dlamda, seperetly. dV(bond)/dlambda and
> dV(non-bond)/dlambda are not writed in free.edr and free.log. how to
> produce dv(bond)/dlambda and dV(non-bond)/dlambda.
> my version gromacs is 4.0.5 and 4.0.7.

If you simply removed/added charges and/or van der Waals terms, then
dV(bonded)/dlambda = 0 since the bonds are unaffected.  If you are looking to
completely remove all bonded and nonbonded terms from a given molecule, you will
have to do extensive topology modifications to eliminate bonds, but in that case
your molecule will just fly apart (as a function of lambda) and give a
meaningless result.  You can mutate molecules (e.g. FEP of molecule A to B), but
completely turning off all intra- and inter-molecular interactions using TI does
not lend well to obtaining the information you seek.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance,
> Maleki
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/08/2011 9:13 PM, afsaneh maleki wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>

>>     I used thermodynamics integration method (TI) to obtain delta
>>     Gibbs energy of the protein membrane. I want to separate
>>     contributions of delta bonding and nonbonding energy in delta
>>     Gibbs energy.
>>

>     So instead of using the sum of bonded and non-bonded energy (i.e.
>     total PE), use them separately. Whether that will mean anything is
>     up to you to demonstrate.
>
>     Mark
>

>>     Best wishes,
>>
>>     Maleki,
>>

>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>     www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar